Thursday, May 13, 2010

Seriously?!!

I know it's been a while but I'm going to jump right in, here. Am I the only one who's noticed that EVERYTHING is becoming impossible to get into? Case in point: Remember the days when opening a box of cereal was not an exercise in frustration? (I don't really want to know if you can't remember those days!) The other day, I was trying to open my Cranberry Nut cereal and I'm glad I was alone because I'm sure the entire episode would have been quite funny to an outside observer. First of all, after very carefully trying to loosen the cardboard tab and open the box, it ripped anyway. So I tried very gingerly to open the little slot that is supposed to hold the tab which is designed (by complete boneheads) to hold the box closed. That ripped too. Okaay, so on to the wrapper inside which is made out of some sort of space age material that must have been originally created as industrial strength indestructible plastic for the purpose of which I cannot even begin to guess. As if that's not difficult enough to deal with, they seal it with what appears to be something along the lines of Krazy Glue. I pulled it apart gently. Nothing. I pulled a little more firmly. Nada. So, I gritted my teeth and pulled harder. Didn't budge. So then frustration set in, I grabbed the bag with my fists clenched and pulled with everything I had. Bag ripped and cereal went everywhere. AARRGGHH! I'm a pretty even tempered person with a good sense of humor but there are limits! What a waste of cereal. Which, by the way, wasn't even full to begin with...product settles during shipping, my left foot! Seriously?! You've got to be kidding.

Oh, and another thing...toys. What is the deal with the way they are packaging toys? What exactly are they afraid is going to happen to Barbie if they don't connect her with (practically invisible) rubber bands to a piece of cardboard in about twenty (apparently very strategically placed) locations? And sewing the hair to a piece of plastic? Seriously?! Is that really necessary? I grew up playing with Barbies and I don't remember them being packaged with such intense security measures. Do they think she's going to try to make a run for it during the trip from the factory to the toy store? What's up with that? I sure don't get it. I even have a scar on my right hand from the time I was trying to cut a thick plastic zip-tie to remove a water blaster from the box with a steak knife (I know...not smart...totally my fault) and ended up in the ER with 6 stitches. Seriously.

Mattie and Michael had a birthday recently and their friends (parents) were very generous and giving. They had a huge pile of presents when it was all said and done and they were really excited to start playing with them. Well it's been almost a week and there is still a significant pile in my room of stuff we haven't gotten around to opening yet. Just last night we worked on opening a remote control truck (that was really cool, by the way), but it was pretty big and trying to get it out was like trying to get gold bars out of Fort Knox! We had to use force, imagination and a even a couple of tools to get the job done. The truck was literally screwed into a big piece of plastic in several places with these tiny screws that no regular screwdriver was designed to turn. Sheer determination, ingenuity and plenty of patience come into play when your kids are next to you saying 'Now is it ready?'...'Now?'...'Mom, when will it be OUT?' Whew! And then you have to pull out the instructions, find them in your language of choice, and start the process of assembling the darn thing! It's all become a little silly, in my opinion, but it is what it is....

There are some notable exceptions, however. Like soup with pull top lids. I like those. And ketchup that is already upside down so you don't have to shake it. And frozen food with zip-lock openings. (Why can't the cereal manufacturers catch on to that?) And squeezable jelly? Brilliant. Oh, and pre-packaged apple slices are pretty convenient, too.

I hate to sound like I'm complaining (which I am) but I don't see the need to add stress where it can be avoided. I am grateful for the blessings we can sometimes take for granted and for such a bounty of products to choose from and enjoy. But do they have to make them so hard to get into? Anybody with me? I thought so. That's all I have for now. Seriously.

Be blessed,
Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. If you do not wish to sign in with an account to leave a comment, simply click on 'ANONYMOUS' then leave your comment and sign your name and/or web address so I'll know who stopped by!