Thursday, February 2, 2012

So, You Think I'm Different...

I'm different. I know that. I realize that some people aren't sure exactly how to take me. I wear my feelings on the outside and love people openly and am not afraid to say it. There's not much of a gate between my brain and my mouth which gets me into trouble sometimes. I desire to interact with everyone I meet and I like to get to know people right away. Even strangers. A good way to sum me up might be: 'Ready or not...here I come." I just genuinely love people. (Most of them). I love to laugh and find humor in everyday moments. My sense of humor is pretty eclectic and because I don't mind being the butt of the joke, I occasionally get carried away and forget sometimes that other people do mind. When I make mistakes, I usually do it up big for all the world to see. I feel terrible when I accidentally hurt someone's feelings. I have a very hard time when others around me are in conflict, especially if it is with me. I love to laugh and I hate emotional disharmony of any kind. I'm a seeker of peace. I am a full on, live and love out loud kind of a girl. I know who I am. I am a girl after God's own heart.

Different is not a bad word. People may say things like "There's something about her...she's just different." That might make some people feel self-conscious. I wear difference like a badge of honor. I want to be different. I am called to be different. Besides, being more conscious of self may not be such a bad thing anyway. Why do I say I'm called to be different? Because of this:


Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. ~Romans 12:2


And this:

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. ~Matthew 5:14-16

We are called to be a reflection of the love of God. To draw others closer to Him; not by hammering away at those around us with our judgments and beliefs but by projecting the love of Jesus. We are to lead by example. That means being okay with showing love to everyone we come in contact with. (Yes, even the unlovable ones). It means admitting our mistakes with humility and asking forgiveness openly when required. It means being willing to reveal our imperfections and more importantly, embracing the imperfections of others. It means being able to laugh at ourselves when we are at our most vulnerable because we are secure in the fact that we are loved by the Father no matter what. Jesus saw to it that we are blameless in the eyes of God. What a gift. Knowing what I know about grace and mercy, it's no surprise that I feel different. 

The world spins crazily around me and sometimes seems so out of control. I can't let that bother me. Jesus at the center of my life gives me my equilibrium. His love and mercy steady me and give me balance. His salvation gives me a solid rock to stand on. His protection is a fortress around me. His vigilance is the guardian in the watchtower of my life. If God be for me, who dare be against me? Does that make me stand out or seem different? Good. That means I must be doing it right.


Blessings,
~Cat

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, Cat. I can't believe how close you hit to some of the same things I'm dealing with. I'm learning to love being different and being me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Word Cat!!! I needed to hear that I'm not the only one...you are an awesome friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cat - Great post! It is always good to connect with some one who feels as you do. Though I felt like I wanted to "Fit In" when I was very young; as I got older I realized that I was different and I came to have confidence in that fact and I am a survivor and a believer in our differences is what makes this world so alive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Catherine!! One of the first scriptures I ever memorized was Romans 12:2. It was a song..and I have always memorized things through song which is what makes some of those songs so great. I think as Christians we should all look different to others. Our light should shine that others want to know what we have that's different. When others see peace and joy in our lives, even we times may be tough, they know something is different about us. And that should also make us think about how we react to people...think about not being rude to the sales clerk..or not cutting people off in traffic. Now that I have business signs on my car, I really do think about being a nicer driver because they have my website and phone number. Now really...shouldn't we be thinking about that,not because we have a business sign on our car, but because we are HIS child. Tracy Tidwell

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. If you do not wish to sign in with an account to leave a comment, simply click on 'ANONYMOUS' then leave your comment and sign your name and/or web address so I'll know who stopped by!